38 replies to this topic

#1 Hecate

Hecate

Somewhat Threatening

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

Hi! I'm AdventLace, more commonly known as Cirno (Mainly Ikazu Cirno) on the servers. I was thinking of starting a tips and tricks thread for players of all skill levels, giving people the opportunity to learn new skills they can use to better themselves in play.

Any tips, tricks, or strategies that you have are welcome. ALTHOUGH, please keep in mind, I'm doing this to try and help people, so please don't post things like "Click the mouse button to attack". Trust me, you're not funny at all, and some of these people are going to be playing with you on the servers, and I can honestly bet, that some of you will take your anger out on a player who was new, who could have benefitted from some good advice on how to play some classes.

If your tip/trick/strategy is going to be very detailed and include a lot of text, I recommend attaching a document, or linking a source. (If that is allowed.)

Thank you for any contributions to this that you may have, and I hope we can make this tips and tricks guide /somewhat/ of a success.

(P.S.: I'm thinking of writing a few tippies on spy, and battle medic. ^^; )

7j3DhmW.png?3

#2 AppleBobApple

AppleBobApple

Unremarkable

• Donators
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

This may sound very obvious but. Press G to use rage.

Im being serious, the amount of people I see that don't know how to use rage is astounding........

Posted Image

#3 Pyrite.exe

Pyrite.exe

Unremarkable

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:48 AM

Pyrite's Player Tips:
If you want to be more supportive to the team but dont want to be medic, Try going Kunai Spy or Mad Milk Scout. The Mad Milk is great for helping teammates when Medics and/or Dispenser Engies are scarce, and the Kunai will rage-lock the boss for 20 seconds, preventing them from using rage until then. Also, if going Kunai Spy, it is highly advised to use the Dead Ringer as well unless you can perform stabs without worry of hale suddenly getting you when you least expect it(Like creeping behind him, then suddenly he turns around instantly and punching you in the face).

The Black Box will not heal you, but will give you a slow, homing rocket in place. But note, You'll only be able to fire 1 rocket at a time, and you wont be able to fire another rocket until you press R or what is set to be your Reload Button(This will canceling the homing effect for the rocket you JUST fired, however) or until the rocket hits something. Also, you will get a 75% Health Penalty, a moderate damage and projectile speed penalty, and like I said before, no healing on hit(Unless the boss as been Mad Milk'd). Best Advice: Dont use it with the Escape Plan unless you expect to have a medic pocket you.

Quick Fix is very useful for summon Vampire Hoovies faster, while the regular Medigun is more supportive by giving most classes(Except Spy, Scout, and Other Medics) a passive uber while healing them. Also, If you are a Vamp Hoovy summoner, dont use Amputator or Ubersaw. Best Advice, use the Stock Bonesaw. I would say Vita-saw, but even though it sounds cool, the health penalty is not worth it! Sollys and Heavies(Excluding Vampire Heavies) get crits as well as the passive Uber, so think wisely.

more tips coming up when I feel like updating with more....
Posted Image

#4 VoidIntruder

VoidIntruder

Left 4 Lunch

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

http://vssaxtonhale....Class_Abilities

Whenever I get bored, I update the wiki. You can find a good amount of tips and strategies here.
If you can't build your own dreams, wait for somoene to hire you to help build their dreams.-Some deviant art quote.

#5 Zio

Zio

Spectacularly Lethal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

if you go as scout against rarity do not use the flying guillotine as the bleed damage will slow you down enough for rarity to catch up to you

here is something random to read  :D  

#6 Dean

Dean

Unremarkable

• Trusted Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Tip as a hale-

Kill Halfwrong, AI, Commissar Black Feathers, Mattwashere, Reaper Dust and Shift Pixel first.

#7 Yuko/Doktor

Yuko/Doktor

Gore-Spattered

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Tip as a Hale - Kill the people who play a lot first.
Herr Doktor - Moderator
"OMG, is the interrobang really the most awesome punctuation mark"

#8 grifguz

grifguz

Mildly Menacing

• Trusted Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

Tip as hale: Kill classes in this order:
Engies/Medics
Demomen/soldiers
Spies (always watch your back)
Heavies
Pyros
Scoots/snipers (just move side-side to avoid sniper shots
Wumbo wumbo wumbo wumbo wumbo wumbo

Words to live by

#9 Hecate

Hecate

Somewhat Threatening

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Cirno's Super-Mediocre Mini-Guide to Spy

I. Overview

The spy is a force to be reckoned with, on any VSH team. The Spy, however is a high-risk, high-reward class, boasting the ability to deal extreme damage, but also having the disadvantage of having to be near the boss in order to do so. The spy deals % damage to the boss, when a successful back stab is landed.

II. What you need

Spy is one of those classes that will get you riled up, sometimes. Spy requires a great deal of patience, as well as finesse and skill. It is recommended that you play a bit of spy in the main game so as to get the feel of the character, and to be familiar with his style of play, before attempting to use him in VSH.

III. Weapon Choices

> Revolvers:

In VSH, the revolver is not your main damage dealing weapon, it is used for getting tokens, and for squeezing extra damage done to hale.

Your choice of revolver is up to you, choose what you like best, or what you think will go nicely with your other weapons.

Some revolvers to think about though are:
- L'tranger: It recovers cloak, helpful for Dead Ringer.
- Enforcer: Deals a nice amount of damage, but has a slower fire rate. Nice for getting extra damage.
- Stock: Useful for have a faster fire rate than the Enforcer.

> Knives:

The knife is your primary weapon for wreaking havoc to hale, a successful back stab will deal % damage to the boss's CURRENT HP (As of spy damage change). The YER is a special case, which I will get to later.

In VSH there are three general classifications of knives, The Kunai, The Your Eternal Reward, and Plain (Includes all other knives that aren't Kunai/YER), each knife has their own uses, and your choice of knife is up to you, but also depends on your skill, to an extent.

Knife Choice:
- Plain Knife (And all the others): This knife deals the MOST BASE back stab damage. It is recommended for all skill levels. This knife is meant to deal damage, no special perks. One thing that you may be vulnerable to is the boss' rage though, so be careful.
- Kunai: This knife has the LEAST BASE damage but gives the boss RAGE LOCK (20 secs). It is recommended for intermediate spies, but anyone can play it if they so choose. This knife is a bit more demanding, for it's rage lock ability, as it trades off damage for rage lock. In order for this knife to really shine the most, you should be moderately aggressive and try to get stabs often WITHOUT being careless. The reason why I recommend being a bit more aggressive with this knife, is because the rage lock is only useful... When it's actually in effect. Ideally, a nice constant rage lock will help the team demolish hale's hp without suffering the wrath of the boss' rage.
- The Your Eternal Reward: This knife is is a special cookie, as it requires a 3-stab "Charge Up" before dealing a whopping 25% damage per HIT (To hale's current hp), yes, all other stabs after the three charges don't have to be back stabs. THIS KNIFE IS FOR THE ADVANCED, I REPEAT, THIS IS FOR THE ADVANCED. This knife is no joke, you have to be able to get those three stabs before dealing % damage, so your revolver is your main source of damage until then. Please, please, please do not use this knife unless you are highly skilled, because the plain knife/kunai is honestly way more helpful to the team, UNLESS you can hit four stabs. *Note: As of the spy damage change, the YER is best used by those who have the skill to pull off multiple stabs, as the damage scaling has changed.)*

> Watches

In VSH, your watch = life. Use it to escape your impending doom, or to sneak up on the boss for a back stab.

There are two types of watches, the Dead Ringer and the Invisiwatch (And its reskins.) Your watch choice is up to you, and your play style.

Watch Choice:
-Dead Ringer: The Dead Ringer is a watch that allows you to survive a hit from hale, excluding god-mode rages, but the Dead Ringer has a very slow reload time, so pick up ammo boxes/ use the L'tranger/ use a dispencer to make up for this. I recommend this watch to anyone. This watch allows for pretty aggressive game play, as you can survive a hit from hale.
-Invisiwatch: The Invisiwatch is a watch that allows disguising as well as the ability to sneak up/ hide when necessary, but you only got one life, so remember that. This watch can also be used by anyone, but I wouldn't use this if you tend to get hit/ die a lot. This watch allows for sneaky game play, as well as a different type of "aggressive".

> Disguise Kit (Invisiwatch ONLY)

One of the perks to using the IW is the ability to disguise. One of the things I've seen is that bosses tend to immediately go for spies when spotted, the IW helps works against that. By disguising as TEAM MEMBER, you can potentially avoid the risk of immediately getting hunted. Please DO NOT disguise as the ENEMY, there is no use for doing so, unless the boss is wheatley. Please choose your disguise wisely, as some disguises are better than others.

Disguise Choices:
- The Good: Pyro, Sniper

Just like in actual TF2, these disguises are what I have seen be the more successful. They have a normal running rate, and also aren't high priority targets. But just because they aren't high-priority, doesn't mean you can relax. Be careful, and stay alert.

- The Okay: Scout, Soldier, Demo

A good hale knows the difference between a real scout and a spy scout. Using the scout disguise, you do not run scout speed, remember that.
Soldiers are often picked off when they are open, as they are heavy ranged damage dealers, so watch out. They also have a slower run speed.
Demo used to be a nice disguise choice, but as of late, Demos have become a more dangerous target, leading hales to focus on them more.

- The Bad: Engie, Medic

The engineer and the medic are high priority targets in VSH. Not recommended

- The UGLY: Heavy

No hate towards the heavy, but this disguise is the worst out of all of them. Not only are you ridiculously slow, but you are also a pretty high target. Also, you will not get passively uber'd, immediately getting clicked as a spy. You are better off with no disguise.

IV. Weapon Combos

Honestly, your weapon choices are up to you, as combinations have their ups and downs, but here are some of my load outs that I use.

- IW + Plain Knife: This is what you'll normally see me with on the server. It has great versatility and allows for sneaking up on hale.
- IW + YER: This is my other main, but is also what I use when I'm either derping around or when I'm really serious. Not recommended that you use this load out.
- IW + Kunai My main support spy load out. It allows me to increase my longevity due to stealthy escapes.
- DR + YER: This is best used with the Polycount set. This is a more viable option when using the YER, as you have more chances in getting those 3 stabs due to more survivability.

Note that these are not "The Best" load outs, these are just some that I use myself. Once again, your combination is up to you.

V. When to Stab

One of the things I sometimes notice when playing on the servers is that some spies immediately rush to the boss, and get slaughtered almost instantaneously. When playing spy, you have to know when to stab, when to engage, when to follow, and when to retreat. "Professor Oak's words echoed: There's a time and place for everything, but not now." This is VERY true for spy. One of the secrets to being a good spy, is to time your attacks, because you are no help to the team, if you rush in, only to be either killed early, or lured into a rage trap. There are several ways to get a back stab, and you need to be able to identify openings for each different type.

VI. Types of Stabs

There are several different types of stabs that can be performed throughout the game. But knowing how to do all those stabs isn't as important as doing them properly. What's a stab, if not done properly? Nothing, exactly.

I will not go over how to trick stab, or do fancy maneuvers, as that won't teach you squat about spy. Probably the only thing it'll teach you, is how to be over reliant on those types of stabs. Trick stabs are learned and mastered by practice, and by observing other spies and their movement. You can not learn the advanced skills, before you learn the basics. Trick stabs will only mess you up, until you have the foundation of the basics. Once you get a hold of spying, trick stabbing isn't a mental process that you think about doing anymore, it's a natural movement, because you know how to use spy.

VII. Art of escape

So you've stabbed hale, and dealt your damage, the hale has two options, ignore you or attack you. First of all, there is a 1.5 second jam that occurs after a stab, quick switching weapons helps with timing the jam, as it takes approximately the same time to quick switch. For Dead Ringer spies, the moment you get that stab, quick switch, and quickly flip open your Dead Ringer and prepare for the worst, but also, watch hale closely for stab openings. For Invisiwatch spy, escape is almost always mandatory, as you have only one life, so quick switch, cloak, and find someplace safe. If hale ignores you, you have two options, engage hale and try to go for another stab, or retreat, and wait for a better opening. This is where you have to use your judgment. If hale comes after you, Dead Ringer spies can easily pop out their Dead Ringer in case they get hit, but Invisiwatch spies have to get enough distance to cloak, or find some sort of distraction/obstacle they can use to escape. When you cloak as an escape for invisiwatch spy, and hale is following you, do not continue to simply pedal backwards, as interpolation will probably get you. Try to outsmart the boss and sneak past them. Some good players know common spy strafe escape routes, so try mixing it up and be creative.

VIII. Hale-Specific Weapons

BEFORE YOU START READING THIS SECTION. PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY PIECE OF EQUIPMENT CAN BE USED, AND STILL BE GOOD. THESE ARE JUST THE THINGS THAT I FEEL MAY OR NOT BE USEFUL FOR SPECIFIC BOSSES.

1. Saxton Hale

Oh Saxton, the classic boss we all know and somewhat love. This "hale" of a boss packs one heck of a punch with his rage, GodMode.

Advantageous (+) Weapons:
- All Revolvers
- Kunai: The kunai is your friend against Saxton, it will prevent his rage from tearing through you, and your team.
- Invisiwatch: The invisiwatch does pretty well against hale, as you are able to hide from Saxton, while he rages.

Disadvantageous (-) Weapons:
- Plain Knife: If you have at least one kunai spy, disregard this. Otherwise, you best hope that you are able to stay out of Saxton's reach after feeding him rage.
- Dead Ringer: The Dead Ringer is almost useless against Saxton's rage. The only exception is if you get punched instead of DeathTouched, but most skillfull players won't try and punch you, and rather try and mow you down.

2. Horseless Headless Horsemann Jnr.

This boss' rage will make you hate Halloween... Not really, but he does scare you... A LOT.

(+) Weapons:
- All Revolvers
- Kunai: Same as reasoning on Saxton
- Dead Ringer: If used prior to rage, your Dead Ringer can save your life when you get spooked and axe'd.

(-) Weapons:
- Plain Knife: Once again, ignore if you have a kunai spy. Fear is not your friend, it will get you killed.
- Invisiwatch: If you are caught in HHHJ's rage, and in killing distance. Sayonara.

3. Vagineer

I swear, understanding him is like 20x worse than trying to understand Pyro. His Egar makes everything all twisted too.

(+) Weapons:
- All Revolvers
- All Knives
- All watches

(-) Weapons:
- None that I can think of

4. Christian Brutal Sniper

His pretty crit sparkles aren't just for show, he'll wipe you out, while insulting your family.

(+):
- All Revolvers: Best source of damage, 'nuff said.
- Invisiwatch: Due to guaranteed kill, this watch is the only thing that will keep you from death.

(-):
- All Knives: Backstab immunity causes reduced damage, stick to your revolver.
- Dead Ringer: Dead. Dead. Dead. No such thing as feigning against CBS.

(Edit: Fixed data due to spy damage change, fixed my own load outs, slowly adding more bosses.)

7j3DhmW.png?3

#10 VoidIntruder

VoidIntruder

Left 4 Lunch

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Here's a fun fact: Hale moves faster if he kills the slowest class alive. This might include vampires. If you can't chase those scouts, aim for the heavy and soldiers.

Soldier guide:

Take full advantages of crits. Your rage buildup depends on knockback and damage from one rocket. Crit scan half the damage necessary to build up rage.

Liberty launcher-Hale will have a harder time avoiding your rockets, but you have 5 less max ammo. Use this when there are a good amount of ammo.
Black Box-Low damage and knockback but you can target seek hale. Bad for rocket jumping but it is good for hit and run situations. A good pair for gunboats.
Cow mangler-A great weapon for low ammo situations and for when you like to stay in one place.
Default/Original-A nice weapon for when you could use some extra ammo, but you want to deal lots of damage and move from one place to anither.
Direct Hit-If you're good woth this weapon and can hit hale at large distances, go ahead, but it is overall not recommended to use. A good pair with shotguns.

Buff Baner: Useful for when you are on the offensive and want to deal as much damage as you can.
Battalion's backup: useful for evasive maneuvers to protect your team, but be careful as vampires can screw your over with Nightmare Moon and the Joker.
Concheror: Best for one on one battles with hale. Best for hasty escapes or melee resorts.
Gunboats-Heavily reduces rocket jumping damage, and it can help for avoiding hale since you can rocket jump a lot and easily heal of that damage.

It is highhly recommended to NOT hold your weapon out unless you know the boss won't rage and you are near hale. I have been screwed over by Dic Soupcan's rage a lot of times.

Escape Plan-For hasty escapes and health regeneration. I personally don't like this weapon because hale will chase you down eventually.
Equalizer-A weapon for when you want to go out with a bang. You have low health and will do high damage before dying.
Disciplinary action-For heroes out there who want to save a teammate or two at the cost of risking their own lives.
Anything else-Best for when you have a healing source readily availible for rocket jumping.

The most important tip is to always save atleast one rocket. You will never know when hale rages or superjumps to you.

Scout: always go short paths if hale chases you.

I would type more but my battery is running low and I'm getting lazy
If you can't build your own dreams, wait for somoene to hire you to help build their dreams.-Some deviant art quote.

#11 kingjcare121

kingjcare121

Unremarkable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

KingjCare121's guide to a mediocre heavy

im mostly known on ozfur as macus(or to the creator of this thread marcoos)
i hope i can do this right...
firstly this is NOT the best way to be a heavy, this is how i play heavy when theres no scout/spy/engineer
lets go through some basics

1:Overview
the heavy is the biggest and best class to rack out damage even without crits to back him up as with the soldier, there is the known drawbacks to him like with the slow as molasses speed and the slow minigun deploy time keeping you from trying to get some damage when the hales heading straight for you on the middle of escaping

basic strategem in a nutshell
I:how a heavy SHOULD act: you are big, you have big gun, basically you are a big fat gun wielding target, so ACT like it, a heavy's job is to rack out damage and be a distraction for the rest of the players, especially spies

II:how a heavy SHOULDN'T act: heavies aren't made to survive that long or be a sneaky or mobile class in this game mode dont be running around like a scout or engineer, find a good spot to camp(a USEFUL spot to camp within the server rules mind you) and be aware of your surroundings

weapons:
Miniguns:
the good: brass beast:this is the main minigun to use here, high damage=HUGE knockback ESPECIALLY with a medic, be wary though. slow spin up times can screw you over
tomislav: a good weapon for quickly attempting to distract the hale while hes chasing another class, normal damage=decent knockback

the average: natsascha: it doesnt have the slow dow effect but has slower fire rate, i still wouldnt recommend it
normal minigun/iron curtain: a good substitute if you dont have the above miniguns, and a GREAT alternative to the one below...
the not recommended:
Huo long heater: unless you have a dispenser with you this weapon is useless with the ammo depletion. however if you have a medic handy or a godmode power up it has SOME merit, but i still wouldnt recommend it
secondary:
the sandviches:
normal:a good way to help against nightmare moon/celestia with yourself and other classes
buffalo steak sandvich: good for healing other classes and with the gloves of running urgently it can help with the very small chance you can quickly escape, and a quick way to get up in the bosses face
dalakohs bar/fishcake:only good for healing other classes by giving it to them,+50 health doesnt help against one hit bosses...
shotguns:
normal:not recommended for use if you have a sandvich
family buisness:good for distracting the boss if you run out of minigun ammo
the melees:
normal/holiday punch/apaco fists: useful if you have a chance to POW(haha) the boss
gloves of running urgently: good for escapes. nothing else really
killing gloves of boxing:pointless effect since all crits on melee, like the natsascha only hinders you
warriors spirit: good for a last stand
fists of steel:worst secondary to use slower weapon switch and 100% damage from the main/only thing a hale can do.
eviction notice:also good for last stands/distractions

loadouts
some favorites of mine(apologies for the bad names)

the stone soviet(requires a medic 90% of the time):
brass beast(main source of damage dealing)
sandvich(supporting other classes
GORU:escaping the hale if you need to

the quick draw:
tomislav: main source of damage
buffalo steak sandvich: to be used for escapes/distraction with eviction notice
eviction notice: used to distract the boss with/without the sandvich

reminder, this is NOT the best way to play as heavy, this is just for those that want to play as a distraction heavy. if not, shoot the boss. DONE good heavy strategy

HOLY CRAP this is a long post
if this helps anyone have fun playing heavy! :)

EDIT:my natsascha part wasnt very accurate it seems and i forgot a good part about the huo long heater
my quest for fancyness knows NO BOUNDS

#12 Pyrite.exe

Pyrite.exe

Unremarkable

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

Actually, the Natasha doesn't have the Damage Reduction in this gamemode. It has a Spin Up Time and Firing Speed reduction. The Spinup Time is the same speed as the Stock Minigun in VSH Remake, but the firing speed is still the same as the Natasha's, and the Slow On Hit effect is removed as well. So, it's really a minor downgrade.

Also, might I recommend a loadout against Dic Soupcan, VoidIntruder? It goes like this:

Cow Mangler, Concheror, and Escape Plan.

If planned out correctly, you can survive a lot of rages from Dic/Derpy. When your Concheror is full, Hold the fire button until he rages. It's also a bonus if you have low health, which is where the Escape Plan comes in. The Godmode will prevent you from healing, but it also means you'll be able to run away faster and longer for a quick escape. Just be sure that the person playing the boss is not, what I call, a huge Tunnel Visionary, because that MIGHT be a little problematic if he is. I should know. Cow Mangler will provide Minicrits on full charge, which will increase Damage. Dic/Derpy are immune to Crits, NOT minicrits(Some people actually overlook this. You'll be surprised.), so the Mangler's Alt-fire pretty much says "F*** YOUR PASSIVE!"
Posted Image

#13 Kaendris

Kaendris

Unremarkable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

Ashley's pyro guide!

I. Overview

Pyro is a mobile damage-dealer, with the ability to do some NASTY damage, especially while abusing pitfalls and helping the team out. So let's delve into this Great Muther Hubbard of a class. (My favorite, obviously!)

II. What you need
A flamethrower, a secondary a melee weapon, and GOOD REACTION TIMES. You need to make sure that you PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

III. Weapon Choices

> Primary: Flamethrowers! (BURN BABY BUUUUURN!)

<> God Tier: Degreaser - VERY SMALL damage penalty. And somewhat of an afterburn penalty, but this won't matter as you do switch weapons a lot quicker providing for a much quicker airblast then switching to your secondary and blasting the hale away with your secondary.

<> Good tier: Flamethrower/Rainblower - Stock is one of the better, if you don't have the Degreaser. While it doesn't switch as fast, it also doesn't have an afterburn penalty or a straight damage penalty

<> Meh tier:
A: Phlogistinator
- No airblast but does do some nice damage and the ability to survive a single hit from the Hale. Only a SINGLE HIT. So don't go in there thinking you'll be saved immediately. Only recommended to those who have a death wish, are messing around, or know how to maneuver around and survive with the airblast lost.
B: Backburner - Airblasts cost 150% more, making it very risky to play around with unless you're very skilled at airblasting. Damage is increased by 10% from the stock and 20% from the Degreaser and deals insta-crits when striking the hale from behind.

> Secondary - Shotguns and Flare guns.

<> Stock: Default weapon, no bonuses to talk about. My number one go to. Deals great amount of knockback when switching to after an airblast. VERY useful for Pyro-model bosses. (Ones that are immune to afterburn.)

<> Reserve Shooter: +15% weapon switching speed, mini-crits targets who are airborne, but a 50% reduction in your clip size. RECOMMENDED FOR THOSE WHO ARE QUICK AND ACCURATE WITH CONSECUTIVE AIRBLAST AND SHOOTING. (Very useful for bosses immune to afterburn)

<> Flare Gun: Deals some good damage if you are accurate with it and can shoot at the hale's feet (it'll knock him up). It also deals critical damage to whatever you hit, as long as its already on fire!.

<> Manmelter: No ammo needed, but no random critical hits. You can extinguish other allies with alt+fire (Which gives you a guaranteed critical hit for each ally extinguished) , so use if you think you'll be fighting against a boss using fire or just to help out.

<> Detonator: RECOMMENDED FOR THOSE GOOD WITH ROCKET JUMPING. Much like the original flare gun, it lights people on fire at a range with the added effect of being able to activate the flare mid-fire and cause it to explode. Plus, you can also (IF YOU KNOW HOW TO ROCKET JUMP) boost yourself up by “Rocket Jumping” with it.
<> Scorch Shot: Unfortunately, this thing catches a LOT of flak for being a teamkiller (because you have the most chance to knock the Hale into someone else and killing them, so use with caution!) As for stats, it has a 50% damage reduction when compared to the Flare gun but does give excellent knockback.

> Melee: Axes and Hammers!

<> Fire axe: No downsides and no upsides. Just a common axe.

<> Third Degree: Fairly useless, as when a Hale that does use a medi-gun heals a teammate, it’s an uber effect and they won’t suffer any damage.

<> Axtinguisher/Postal Plummeler: 50% less damage on those that ARENT on fire and 50% more damage to those who are on fire. Guaranteed Critical damage on something on fire, which is otherwise useless considering you have all-crits for melee. But, on no-crit bosses if you light them on fire and hit them with these, you will deal crits.

<> Homewrecker/ The Maul: Very useless. Less damage inflicted each hit and no sappers or buildings to destroy. NOT RECOMMENDED TO USE.

<> Powerjack: Restores +75 health upon kill. However you take 30% more melee damage. RECOMMENDED FOR USE ON BOSSES THAT HAVE MINIONS. (Ex: Joker’s vampires, Candy Man / Gangplank minions) Be wary, for you do get hurt more from melee, so be careful!

<> Backscratcher: Deals 25% more damage than the stock axe, but you get less health from medics so it could be hazardous to use on a boss that deals passive damage. (ex: bleed from Luna/Celestia or Boss’ Minion damage)

<> Sharpened Volcano Fragment: 25% less damage than stock but lights enemies on fire. Used in conjunction with the flare gun, this is a possibly good combination.

IV. Weapon Combos

Like Cirno said in her guide, these choices are what I personally use and would recommend for some but you don’t HAVE to do it.

>>Degreaser+Shotgun(Stock)+Powerjack: Very useful combo. Degreaser gives the ability to switch VERY quickly from your primary to your other two weapons. (VERY Useful for bosses immune to afterburn damage.)

>>Degreaser+Reserve Shooter+ Any melee: Makes for very quick switching through your weapons, combining for a very effective set to use against the Hale. (VERY useful for bosses immune to afterburn damage)

>>Degreaser+Detonator+Any Melee: Detonator jumping in conjunction with airblasting can be a very effective maneuver to getting away from the Hale.

>>Phlog+Detonator+Any Melee: ((VERY DIFFICULT TO USE EFFECTIVELY)) This set is good if you know how to use the Phlog alt+fire in conjunction with the Detonator jumping. Makes for a VERY annoying pyro.

>>Degreaser+Scorch Shot+Any Melee: This set-up is a VERY common one among this mod. Gives good knockback, but can mess you or others up due your not knowing just where the scorch shot will land the Hale.

>>Phlog+ManMelter+Neon Annihilator: Basically something I use to mess around with. :P

V. Situational Awareness
Being a pyro is easy. Light shit on fire, collect ammo, airblast him away from you. Not givin a crap about anything else because you’re a pyro. Being a GOOD Pyro is something completely different. You have to watch your surroundings to make sure that you don’t airblast him onto someone or away from a stab. I don't know just how many pyros I see constantly killing other people because of being stupid with their airblasting and scorch shotting. Make sure that you’re aware of your surroundings and you know where ammo boxes are too, ESPECIALLY, during Last Man Pyro. Cause your knowledge of ammo boxes, walls, drops, stairs and other things can well determine if you win or not.

OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS AND QUESTIONS TO PUT MORE STUFF IN MY GUIDE!

CREDITS GO TO CIRNO/Advent Lace FOR ORIGINAL LAYOUT! <3

#14 Great stabber

Great stabber

Unremarkable

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

Cirno's Super-Mediocre Mini-Guide to Spy Part 1

I. Overview

The spy is a force to be reckoned with, on any VSH team. The Spy, however is a high-risk, high-reward class, boasting the ability to deal extreme damage, but also having the disadvantage of having to be near the boss in order to do so. The spy deals % damage to the boss, when a successful back stab is landed.

II. What you need

Spy is one of those classes that will get you riled up, sometimes. Spy requires a great deal of patience, as well as finesse and skill. It is recommended that you play a bit of spy in the main game so as to get the feel of the character, and to be familiar with his style of play, before attempting to use him in VSH.

III. Weapon Choices

> Revolvers:

In VSH, the revolver is not your main damage dealing weapon, it is used for getting tokens, and for squeezing extra damage done to hale.

Your choice of revolver is up to you, choose what you like best, or what you think will go nicely with your other weapons.

Some revolvers to think about though are:
- L'tranger: It recovers cloak, helpful for Dead Ringer.
- Enforcer: Deals a nice amount of damage, but has a slower fire rate. Nice for getting extra damage.
- Stock: Useful for have a faster fire rate than the Enforcer.

> Knives:

The knife is your primary weapon for wreaking havoc to hale, a successful back stab will deal % damage to the boss, except for the YER, which I will get to later.

In VSH there are three general classifications of knives, The Kunai, The Your Eternal Reward, and Plain (Includes all other knives that aren't Kunai/YER), each knife has their own uses, and your choice of knife is up to you, but also depends on your skill, to an extent.

Knife Choice:
- Plain Knife (And all the others): This knife deals the MOST BASE back stab damage. It is recommended for all skill levels. This knife is meant to deal damage, no special perks. One thing that you may be vulnerable to is the boss' rage though, so be careful.
- Kunai: This knife has the LEAST BASE damage but gives the boss RAGE LOCK (20 secs). It is recommended for intermediate spies, but anyone can play it if they so choose. This knife is a bit more demanding, for it's rage lock ability, as it trades off damage for rage lock. In order for this knife to really shine the most, you should be moderately aggressive and try to get stabs often WITHOUT being careless. The reason why I recommend being a bit more aggressive with this knife, is because the rage lock is only useful... When it's actually in effect. Ideally, a nice constant rage lock will help the team demolish hale's hp without suffering the wrath of the boss' rage.
- The Your Eternal Reward: This knife is is a special cookie, as it requires a 3-stab "Charge Up" before dealing a whopping 25% damage per HIT, yes, all other stabs after the three charges don't have to be back stabs. THIS KNIFE IS FOR THE ADVANCED, I REPEAT, THIS IS FOR THE ADVANCED. This knife is no joke, you have to be able to get those three stabs before dealing % damage, so your revolver is your main source of damage until then. Please, please, please do not use this knife unless you are highly skilled, because the plain knife/kunai is honestly way more helpful to the team, UNLESS you can hit four stabs.

> Watches

In VSH, your watch = life. Use it to escape your impending doom, or to sneak up on the boss for a back stab.

There are two types of watches, the Dead Ringer and the Invisiwatch (And its reskins.) Your watch choice is up to you, and your play style.

Watch Choice:
-Dead Ringer: The Dead Ringer is a watch that allows you to survive a hit from hale, excluding god-mode rages, but the Dead Ringer has a very slow reload time, so pick up ammo boxes/ use the L'tranger/ use a dispencer to make up for this. I recommend this watch to anyone. This watch allows for pretty aggressive game play, as you can survive a hit from hale.
-Invisiwatch: The Invisiwatch is a watch that allows disguising as well as the ability to sneak up/ hide when necessary, but you only got one life, so remember that. This watch can also be used by anyone, but I wouldn't use this if you tend to get hit/ die a lot. This watch allows for sneaky game play, as well as a different type of "aggressive".

> Disguise Kit (Invisiwatch ONLY)

One of the perks to using the IW is the ability to disguise. One of the things I've seen is that bosses tend to immediately go for spies when spotted, the IW helps works against that. By disguising as TEAM MEMBER, you can potentially avoid the risk of immediately getting hunted. Please DO NOT disguise as the ENEMY, there is no use for doing so, unless the boss is wheatley. Please choose your disguise wisely, as some disguises are better than others.

Disguise Choices:
- The Good: Pyro, Demo, Sniper

Just like in actual TF2, these disguises are what I have seen be the more successful. They have a normal running rate, and also aren't high priority targets. But just because they aren't high-priority, doesn't mean you can relax. Be careful, and stay alert.

- The Okay: Scout, Soldier

A good hale knows the difference between a real scout and a spy scout. Using the scout disguise, you do not run scout speed, remember that.
Soldiers are often picked off when they are open, as they are heavy ranged damage dealers, so watch out. They also have a slower run speed.

- The Bad: Engie, Medic

The engineer and the medic are high priority targets in VSH. Not recommended

- The UGLY: Heavy

No hate towards the heavy, but this disguise is the worst out of all of them. Not only are you ridiculously slow, but you are also a pretty high target. Also, you will not get passively uber'd, immediately getting clicked as a spy. You are better off with no disguise.

IV. Weapon Combos

Honestly, your weapon choices are up to you, as combinations have their ups and downs, but here are some of my load outs that I use.

- IW + Plain Knife: This is what you'll normally see me with on the server. It has great versatility and allows for sneaking up on hale.
- IW + YER: This is what I use when I'm either derping around or when I'm really serious. Not recommended that you use this load out.
- DR + Kunai: This is what I normally use as a support spy, the DR allows me to be up in hale's face, and the kunai allows me to pull of multiple stabs with out being raged.
- DR + YER: This is best used with the Polycount set (I don't have the fez. xD). This is a more viable option when using the YER, as you have more chances in getting those 3 stabs due to more survivability.

Note that these are not "The Best" load outs, these are just some that I use myself. Once again, your combination is up to you.

V. When to Stab

One of the things I sometimes notice when playing on the servers is that some spies immediately rush to the boss, and get slaughtered almost instantaneously. When playing spy, you have to know when to stab, when to engage, when to follow, and when to retreat. "Professor Oak's words echoed: There's a time and place for everything, but not now." This is VERY true for spy. One of the secrets to being a good spy, is to time your attacks, because you are no help to the team, if you rush in, only to be either killed early, or lured into a rage trap. There are several ways to get a back stab, and you need to be able to identify openings for each different type.

VI. Types of Stabs

There are several different types of stabs that can be performed throughout the game. But knowing how to do all those stabs isn't as important as doing them properly. What's a stab, if not done properly? Nothing, exactly.

I will not go over how to trick stab, or do fancy maneuvers, as that won't teach you squat about spy. Probably the only thing it'll teach you, is how to be over reliant on those types of stabs. Trick stabs are learned and mastered by practice, and by observing other spies and their movement. You can not learn the advanced skills, before you learn the basics. Trick stabs will only mess you up, until you have the foundation of the basics. Once you get a hold of spying, trick stabbing isn't a mental process that you think about doing anymore, it's a natural movement, because you know how to use spy.

VII. Art of escape

So you've stabbed hale, and dealt your damage, the hale has two options, ignore you or attack you. First of all, there is a 1.5 second jam that occurs after a stab, quick switching weapons helps with timing the jam, as it takes approximately the same time to quick switch. For Dead Ringer spies, the moment you get that stab, quick switch, and quickly flip open your Dead Ringer and prepare for the worst, but also, watch hale closely for stab openings. For Invisiwatch spy, escape is almost always mandatory, as you have only one life, so quick switch, cloak, and find someplace safe. If hale ignores you, you have two options, engage hale and try to go for another stab, or retreat, and wait for a better opening. This is where you have to use your judgment. If hale comes after you, Dead Ringer spies can easily pop out their Dead Ringer in case they get hit, but Invisiwatch spies have to get enough distance to cloak, or find some sort of distraction/obstacle they can use to escape. When you cloak as an escape for invisiwatch spy, and hale is following you, do not continue to simply pedal backwards, as interpolation will probably get you. Try to outsmart the boss and sneak past them. Some good players know common spy strafe escape routes, so try mixing it up and be creative.

VIII. Hale-Specific Weapons

BEFORE YOU START READING THIS SECTION. PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY PIECE OF EQUIPMENT CAN BE USED, AND STILL BE GOOD. THESE ARE JUST THE THINGS THAT I FEEL MAY OR NOT BE USEFUL FOR SPECIFIC BOSSES.

1. Saxton Hale

Oh Saxton, the classic boss we all know and somewhat love. This "hale" of a boss packs one heck of a punch with his rage, GodMode.

Advantageous (+) Weapons:
- All Revolvers
- Kunai: The kunai is your friend against Saxton, it will prevent his rage from tearing through you, and your team.
- Invisiwatch: The invisiwatch does pretty well against hale, as you are able to hide from Saxton, while he rages.

Disadvantageous (-) Weapons:
- Plain Knife: If you have at least one kunai spy, disregard this. Otherwise, you best hope that you are able to stay out of Saxton's reach after feeding him rage.
- Dead Ringer: The Dead Ringer is almost useless against Saxton's rage. The only exception is if you get punched instead of DeathTouched, but most skillfull players won't try and punch you, and rather try and mow you down.

2. Horseless Headless Horsemann Jnr. (Currently disabled)

This boss' rage will make you hate Halloween... Not really, but he does scare you... A LOT.

(+) Weapons:
- All Revolvers
- Kunai: Same as above
- Dead Ringer: If used prior to rage, your Dead Ringer can save your life when you get spooked and axe'd.

(-) Weapons:
- Plain Knife: Once again, ignore if you have a kunai spy. Fear is not your friend, it will get you killed.
- Invisiwatch: If you are caught in HHHJ's rage, and in killing distance. Sayonara.

3. Vagineer (Currently Disabled)

I swear, understanding him is like 20x worse than trying to understand Pyro. His Egar makes everything all twisted too.

(+) Weapons:
- All Revolvers
- All Knives
- All watches

(-) Weapons:
- None that I can think of

(Edit: Began Hale Weapon Matchups)

May I also add , to always be on the move , for hale has to spend more time either chasing you, or for lining up certain backstab tricks like the matador (not recommended for new players to spy) , the stair stab , and the prop stab.

Stabby - TF2 Moderator

"Being angry is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die."

-Sun Tzu

#15 videorfeak

videorfeak

Mildly Menacing

• Trusted Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

I have noticed that people who play engineer tend to do best when they follow this advice:
1. Mini sentries over level 3 sentries, level 3's take too long to make and usually don't do enough damage to be worth it before they get destroyed.
2. Build your dispenser somewhere out of the way that hale wont find but to where you can still run to when you cant find ammo packs. generally go build the dispenser first then while its building go and place your sentry
3. Place your sentry somewhere the players and hale tend to stay a lot then go fill up on ammo from dispenser or ammo packs and get to the other end of the map, generally not a good idea to stay with your mini sentry. This way when your sentry is destroyed you are ready to place another one and are able to elude hale.
4. If you want to camp with your sentry, do it someplace hard to get to where there's only 1 path and block the path with your dispenser so by the time the hale breaks your dispenser and gets to your sentry you are already gone (especially effective in the harvest_event map on the ledges of the house hale has to go upstairs through a small hallway then out the window).

To summarize: Build mini sentries because they are fast and cheap and once placed make sure to stay out of Hale's way.

*P.S. As for primary weapon, I personally like the Pomson because it doesn't need ammo and its shots can snipe the hale from across the stage.

#16 Charles

Charles

Unremarkable

• Trusted Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

SO YOU WANNA BE A FISH SCOUT:

The following is a guide to being a successful fish-scout; but before we get into an in depth look at some useful loadouts, I feel that I should explain what exactly a fish-scout is, and what purpose they serve.

You see, "the holy mackerel," often referred to as simply "The Fish," is an alternative melee weapon for the scout. It has exactly the same stats as the stock bat, and has no special perks granted to it in the VSH mode. So you may be asking yourself, "Why would I want to use this weapon when there are other alternatives with added abilities?" The answer is simple: whenever you hit someone from the other team with the fish, a loud bell sound and a wet, fishy-sounding slap can be heard, and an icon is displayed in the kill feed, proudly announcing to all on the server, that someone has just been hit by a fish.Including the boss. In slapping the boss with the fish, you are not only humiliating them in front of your team, you're most likely getting on their nerves as well. Many times, a boss will drop whatever they are doing to go after a scout that is intentionally going for melee, especially one who is solely doing it to irritate them

Effectively, a fish-scout's job on the team is to get in, slap the boss around a few times, and distract them from your teammates.
[Please note, for all intents and purposes "unarmed combat" can be used in place of the "holy mackerel," but is not nearly as funny, in my humble opinion.]

Recommended Loadouts:

1.) Force-a-Nature, BONK! Atomic Punch, Holy Mackerel.
The idea here is pretty simple: Get in with the fish, get out, and use BONK! if the boss follows you longer than you like. Use the F-a-N to either triple jump or keep the boss at a distance while you BONK! is reloading. Recommended for use on maps with elevated platforms, like Ram Shacked or Farm Feud, but can be easily used on most other maps.

2.) Baby Face's Blaster, Crit-a-Cola, Holy Mackerel.
Not the easiest of setups to use, but is very, VERY rewarding on maps where you're not going to be doing much jumping. Using the Crit-a-Cola's ability to give full crits, you'll easily be able to get up to full speed with your Baby Face's Blaster, rendering you faster than anything other than a starving Painis Cupcake. Once you've filled your boost bar, just run in from behind the boss, give 'em a few good ol' fishy slaps, and easily sidestep all but the most reflexive bosses. ONLY JUMP IF YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO. Recommended large maps where elevation is not key to avoiding the boss.

3.) Sodapopper, Flying Guillotine, Holy Mackerel.
This is a personal favorite of mine. There are no inherent bonuses to this loadout, other than being especially annoying to the boss when used properly. Run around with your Sodapopper out, build up hype, and take aim with the Guillotine when you've got crits, and fire away. Once you've caught the boss's attention, give them reason to chase you, and double-jump over them backwards when they're behind you. Fish slap a few times, and get out. Rinse and repeat as often as desired. Recommended on any map, for inherent silliness and fun.
No one ever reads these things if they don't stand out. It really doesn't matter. If you are reading this, you may want to reconsider your hobbies.

#17 AJR001

AJR001

Truly Feared

• Trusted Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

AJR001's Scout Guide

Hi there, this guideline is for the new players who join in on the OzFur VSH remake servers ONLY. So this guide may/may not apply to the original VSH mod, Freak Fortress 2, or similar mods and other game modes. For this guide, this will shed light on the scout, my most played class at the moment and the fastest class on the whole team (Most of the time). And this guide may not be as complete as it should be so feel free to comment. I do try the best I can.

Scout Basics:
The Scout is the fastest and one of the most mobile classes on the team. His ability to double-jump gives him the capability to dodge attacks and confuse players. Also a fair amount of skill is needed to use this class due to his low durability. This class is VERY useful in scouting the map and finding the boss's location (Sometimes he even dies in the process). So, as a scout KEEP MOVING since your speed and mobility are your greatest assets in any TF2 match.

Scout Weapons:

Primary:
Default Scattergun - the base primary weapon. Does good damage against the boss at medium to close range and fairly useless at long range except in fire suppression. Since scout can close the gap with the boss fairly quickly, this weapon is great for any player. As always, check your ammo at all times too since it would suck to run out of ammo in a middle of a fight.

Force-a-nature - This weapon sacrifices clip capacity and range for raw damage and knockback to the user (not sure on the knockback to the target since it is A BOSS). Although each bullet does 10% less damage as compared to the scattergun this weapon has an additional 20% bullets per shot, making this even more damaging than the scattergun (If all shots hit said target for both weapons). And because of the knockback, you essentially have a way of changing position in mid-air without wasting a jump. For effectiveness, the range is reduced due to the bullet spread and is even a WORSE choice at long range compared to the scattergun. And if you reload before both shots are spent ( a.k.a. 1 shot left in mag), this gun reloads both shells (Wasting a shot in the process), so DO NOT reload until both shots are spent. Use this if you want to do a lot of close-range damage and have an extra jump to get to hard-to-reach places and/or to escape the boss.

Shortstop - the fusion between the pistol and the scattergun. This sacrifices raw damage, number of bullets, and close-ranged effectiveness for high ammo capacity and increased effectiveness in medium to long range combat. This gun draws from the same ammo pool as the pistol, so it will take a while before you run out of ammo (But DO NOT waste shots). As such, the same tactics of the scattergun and/or pistol can be used for this weapon but remember you have LOWER close-range damage to the target as comapred to the scattergun due to the lower bullet number so being more accurate is recommended. DO NOT use this in conjunction with the pistol unless you want to RUN OUT of ammo for BOTH weapons or you have the knowledge to adapt to this weakness.

Soda Popper - this is like the force-a-nature except it has no knockback, same bullet number as the scattergun, and a hype meter which fills up as you run with the weapon selected and in your hand which when full will grant the user mini-crits for ALL weapons in your loadout (With a time limit of course but hype can be built again). As such when you have this weapon out with the hype meter full, shoot the boss if you can as the increased damage will help you get more damage (Very ueful in getting tokens w/c are used in the hale queue). And the mini-crits apply to all weapons so secondary pistols are best to pair with this weapon for incrased range damage (Doing this with melee weapons is redundant. It will be highlighted later). As such like with the force-a-nature DO NOT reload before spending both shots. As a tip, wield the popper 1st then switch to another weapon before the the hype meter is full. That way, if you see the boss switching back to it will fill up the meter and grant you mini-crits against the target.

Baby Face's Blaster - my peronal favorite weapon on the VSH servers and for the scouts with the need for SPEED. When you first equip this weapon, you are 35% slower than usual and this weapon has a 30% damage penalty. But in return, your shots are 40% more accurate and you have a boost meter which increases your speed as it fills up from any damage done with ANY DAMAGING weapon (Including aftereffect damage), up to a maximum of approximately twice your normal speed. This weapon is very useful for dodging the boss on the ground and make him/her work harder for that goomba stomp (As the boost fills up). You RARELY need to jump with this weapon and SHOULDN'T have to, since jumping resets the boost meter. AS such do not trap youself in an area where you need to jump to get out. 35% slower = Easier target for the boss. (Unfortunately the BFB has been disabled due to balancing in boss fighting. The scattergun replaces the BFB and it's unknown if it will be enabled again)

Secondary:
Default Pistol and its reskins -a 12-bullet mag weapon good all-around weapon for dealing damage and no side effects. Remember you have a lower number of availiable bullets as compared to the engineer's pistol so ammo conservation is recommended.

Bonk! Atomic Punch - When used, it maks you immune to all damage (Except physical contact with Boss's Godmode (Getting hit with a melee attack while the boss is in Godmode won't kill you) and Goomba Stomp) but knockbacks still have an effect. The effect lasts 8 seconds where you cannot attack and after it takes 24 seconds to recharge. Use this when you're about to get hit since most boss's melee attacks are one-hit kills. But REMEMBER, there is a delay between the scout drinking the punch and the actual effect taking place so there is a gap where you will be a VERY EASY target. So watch the range between you and the boss before you use this item.

Crit-a-Cola - it's similar to the Bonk! except it grants you mini-crit damage output at the price of taking 25% more damage in the process (After-effect damage like bleed and fire is VERY unhealthy for the scout). Use this when the boss is within your proximity and attack range but NOT actively or passively targeting you since using this to try to fool boss player into thinking it's Bonk! VERY RARELY works since they USUALLY hit you first as a precaution.

Winger - deals 15% more damage and 25% bonus jump height at the price of a 60% smaller clip size. Not recommended for even when paired with the Soda Popper due to its low clip amount. Good for scouts who are accurate with pistols and this weapon in general. Also the extra jump height might get you out of the boss's reach at times so use with care.

Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol - a GOOD weapon which gives you +15 health and immunity to fall damage (Very useful against bosses with the gravitational unusual though usually the VSH remake servers have no fall damage enabled). But this has a 25% slower firing speed (Good for conserving ammo though) and scouts have 50% fire damage vulnerability while equipping this weapon. So be VERY CAREFUL when using this weapon against bosses like Charmander and Blazing Sparkz when near these two since their rage usually means the end for the pocket pistol scout due to increased fire damage vulnerability.

Flying Guillotine - a weapon where a cleaver will be thrown to a target and when it hits, inflicts damage and bleed on hit. It does a mini-crit hit for long range hits and 100% crit hit at stunned players (Bleeding damage may not be affected unless the target is marked to take mini-crits like Jarate and Fan O' War). It has a FAST recharge rate so it is a GREAT weapon to pair with the BFB since the boost builds up faster from the bleed at the price of lower base damage as compared with the pistols (Unfortunately the BFB is disabled). It can also be paired with the Shortstop very well since said weapon draws from the same ammo pool as the pistol, making this a good secondary. And also very useful with the sandman since the boss takes crit damage from this secondary when stunned.

Melee: (Note - all melee weapons for all classes except the spy do critical hits and this is a very risky tactic)
Bat and its reskins - a good melee weapon to hit the boss with. With no side effects known, it's a great last resort weapon to fight the boss with.

Holy Mackerel/Unarmed Combat - works like the bat except it has a tighter attack cone to concentrate damage and it broadcasts every successful hit . Use it to distract the boss so that it will target you (Sometimes) instead of other priority targets like spies.

Sandman - on this VSH server, instead of reducing your health by 15, it slows your movement speed by 15%. But this weapon alt-fires a baseball which can stun targets and causes an EXTENDED stun at VERY long ranges. Its taunt is capable of doing 30% of the boss's TOTAL HP. A RARE but VERY EFFECTIVE tactic is to moonshot the boss them move next to the boss and aim the taunt at it (This may NOT work due to some of the other classes weapons having a MASSIVE knockback when it hits the boss (e.g. Sniper Shots, Rockets/Grenades and their blast radius so FULL cooperation on the players' side is REQUIRED).

Candy Cane - works like the bat except it drops a small health pack on a kill and increased explosive vulnerability by 25%. Useful against bosses like Candy Man and Gangplank (Candy Scouts and Pirates are like walking Health packs but risky since they can attack as well). Not recommended against most of the bosses ESPECIALLY Pinkie Pie (Due to the current passive where players explode when they die and those CHAIN in a multiple player area) and Mario (fireball rage is essentially an exploding projectile).

Boston Basher/Three-Rune Blade - Another great weapon to pair with the BFB due to 5 second bleed effect on hit (Bat hit damage + Bleed damage and the BFB perk does not apply). But if you miss, you HIT YOURSELF and take the 5 second bleed damage instead. More misses = longer bleed effect as the effect timer resets itself which means the end for w +m1 melee scouts. Recommended for ACCURATE bat wielding scouts who can hit consistently with melee. Best used with medics on the team to help them build uber faster. Notify the medics too since they usually pocket heavies, soldiers, and sometimes demomen.

Sun-on-a-Stick - Since melee hits are all crits anyway, this weapon has been given an effect to ignite the boss on a successful hit. Also a good paring with the BFB even with the 25% base damage reduction (No longer applies since the BFB is disabled). GREAT for revealing bosses like Nocturne and other Shadow bosses.

Fan O' War - recommended for support scouts as it does 90% LESS damage compared to the bat but it marks the target causing it to take mini-crit damage for 15 seconds. Useful when paired with any scattergun or pistol.

Atomizer - this is for scout players who want better mobility and higher escape chances. Its 30% slower firing speed and 20% damage reduction is not the best for melee engagements with the boss but its triple jump ability gives you a chance to escape or even confuse the boss at the price of 10 health per third jump done. The 3rd jump is NOT to be used LIGHTLY. Many players die due to the 3rd jump so its handy to have a medic around to heal you. Also, this weapon has the same taunt kill animation as the sandman but it WILL NOT INSTA-KILL the boss, it does 500 damage instead (The usual damage for taunt kills).

Wrap Assassin - It's like the sandman except it does 70% less damage and no health and speed penalty. It alt-fires a festive ornament which causes bleed on hit (Projectile damage may/may not be affected).

Other Tips:
As a scout, DO NOT waste the slot and ATTACK to the boss. Also situational awareness is RECOMMENDED if you want to stay alive long enough to do enough damage to the boss and earn your tokens. Watch your back and your teammates' at all times to increases your chances of winning (Even if it's small). Also, more health and the Milkman set won't hurt too since this gives you increased survivability to some of the boss's rage abilities (e.g. Nightmare Moon (a.k.a. Princess Luna)/Princess Celestia). And lastly, be aware of your weapons' pros and cons when you pick your loadout as some of the boss's passives (e.g. Rarity/Sweetie Belle's passive slows you down when you do damage to them) will definitely AFFECT you.

Well, that's about it for my Scout guide. I might post guides for other classes in the future if no guides are made for them yet. I hope my shared knowledge will help the newbies on this server and make them better scouts. GL and HF out there. smile.png

#18 Hecate

Hecate

Somewhat Threatening

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Keep up the good work everyone! There is a lot of good information here~ We need a few guides for some of the other classes.

7j3DhmW.png?3

#19 Pyrite.exe

Pyrite.exe

Unremarkable

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

The Pyrite Medic Guide for VSH players:

So, wanna become a good medic? Wanna be the supporter?! Be warned, you are in a whole new territory!

Welcome to the Medic Guide for VSH Players. Here, I will teach you how to play as a good medic, as in how to support your teammates.

Lets Begin with the Weapons, shall we?

Primary:

Stock Syringe Gun(Strange or not): It's a decent DPS Dealer if you can land the hits correctly. Be warned as some people will rely on medics using the Crusader's Crossbow or using their medigun. A 40-round cylinder of syringes can bring some damage if you are good with Arc-based weaponry. Note: The Syringe Guns have little to no knockback, so be wary.

Blutsauger: This weapon is not exactly a better choice, but against Hales with certain rages (Nightmare Moon/Celestia, for example), it can be a lifesaver. Again, Syringe Guns dont have much knockback, so be warned. Plus, because of the fact it lowers the Medic's natural Health Regen, it's pretty much a Risk-and-Reward weapon.

Crusader's Crossbow: This is the medic's most practical primary. While it has a really low clip size and a great Reserved Ammo penalty, this one is used to heal those that are in danger, but are too out of range of your Medigun. Plus, you can use it to heal Sollys who wield the Escape Plan. This Arrow-firing weapon, combined with the Amputator, increases Medic's natural Health Regen by 1. Be aware, as the set bonus is not really handy against most Bosses. Also, A crit arrow hitting a mid-air boss will actually stop a Boss while Superjumping mid way if aimed right. It's faster reload means more time to heal your teammates from far away.

Overdose: Not exactly a weapon I would recommend. The Overdose's speed bonus is only when you have Full Ubercharge, and even then, some hales can be extremely fast, making the speed bonus completely unreliable. Not to mention, it has a damage penalty, so you'll need to do a bit more if you want to do some damage with this thing. Still, it's a sorta -meh- weapon. Use it if you want, but at your own risk.

Secondary:

Stock Medigun(Including Stranges, Botkillers, and Festives): The overall default for Medics. This one is a good choice. It's used for protecting yourself, and for giving Uber for those who dont get the Passive Uber from being healed(Scouts, Spies, and other Medics). There are no upsides, but no downsides either. Also, when healing someone, Press R(or any button that you set to Reload), and you'll teleport to them with a few-second stun. Overall, it's a popular choice.
Quick Note: All Mediguns give a Passive Uber to all classes EXCEPT Scout, Spy, and Medic.

Kritzkrieg: Be warned. A lot of people will be frowning upon you when using this. But listen, it's good for classes that dont get the Crits along with the Passive Uber(only Soldier and Heavies get crits while being passively uber'd). It's slightly higher Ubercharge rate, so getting Uber will be a bit faster for summoning Vampire Hoovies(Which I'll get into later on).

Quick Fix: This is actually a pretty handy Medigun. This medigun is perfect for summoning Vamp Heavies faster, though. Only 2 kinds of hales dont instakill on hit, so the Speedy Regen is situational, depending on the Rage of the current boss. You can also use this to leapfrog with Demos and Sollys for a good escape. Not only that, it's very useful against Applejack/Applebloom's rage. So, it's a pretty useful one, after all.

Vaccinator: Thanks to some info given to me, this Medigun is....wow. How situational can one weapon get? It may be useful against a boss like Applejack, but not really much else. Something I would not recommend to use unless you know someone's gonna use a Boss this thing is good against. (Applejack and her pistol rage, Charmander/Blazing Sparkz' passive, and TF2 Announcer's Saboteur rage)

Melee:

Bonesaw(Stock): This is your main tool for summoning Vampire Heavies. It's mainly used for well...just that. No downsides, or upsides.

Ubersaw: One of the 2 bonesaws that doesn't summon Vamp Heavies, the other being the Amputator. The Ubersaw is a "High Risk, High Reward" weapon, meaning you'll have to be up close and personal with the boss to utilize it. Get a hit, and you get 1/4th of your ubercharge filled. Miss, and well...hope that the person has a problem hitting people. 4 Successful hits, and you get a Fully-charged Uber. Use it at your own risk.

Amputator: The other Bonesaw that doesn't summon Vamp Heavies. Not exactly a practical weapon of choice, but when paired with the crossbow, it's great against a couple of bosses. Either way, using this thing is situational, even with the AoE Heal on Taunt.

Vita-Saw: AVOID USING THIS ONE AT ALL COSTS! VSH is essentially Arena Mode, and thus you will not respawn until the round ends, which will negate the "Save Ubercharge on Death" attribute. Plus, it gives a health penalty. So, in all honesty, even if it does summon Vamp Heavies, and sounds cooler when it taunts, it's really a Very Useless weapon in VSH mode. Avoid using the Vita-Saw.

The Solemn Vow: Reskin of the stock bonesaw, but It doesn't seem to be able to summon Vamp Hoovies. Eh, wouldn't recommend it.
--x--x--x--

And now, for some Pyrite's Pointers:

Taunt with your Bonesaw, or if you have the Vita-Saw(I dont know why you would use it here), once you have 100% Uber, and you'll summon a Vampire Heavy. Vamp Heavies will increase your Damage Dealt counter as long as they are damaging Hale. Also, keep your Medigun on them. Vampires will quickly lose health if they dont attack hale. If one is AFK, use it for Uber Fodder, when you have 100%, let it die.

The Angel RTD is a godsend for medics. This roll will negate the Stun when using the Healbeam Teleport, making more effective escapes or teleports to assist someone.

When using the Crossbow, Hold your reload button when aiming at someone to lock on to them. This can help with Precise Targeted Healing, but you will not reload until you let go of the Reload key. This is great for players who have a hard time standing still. Also note: The Homing and Lock-On effects only work if you're aiming at a TEAMMATE. Will not work on Hale or any other Boss.
--x--x--x--

I'll be post more Tips and Pointers, and will be updating the guide when I get more info. But at the meantime, enjoy your Medicinal Life as a Medic, and be the Best Supporter you can be!
Posted Image

#20 Yuko/Doktor

Yuko/Doktor

Gore-Spattered

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

I like your Medic guide, but for 2 things.

The Quick-Fix is actually one of the best weapons in VSH overall, if it's used right. A Medic can leapfrog between team-members, staying away from Hale, can prevent slowing effects, prevents Applejack's rage hurting anyone, prevents many other bosses' rages. And that's just the uber. That passive speed boost when healing a scout is amazingly useful.

As for the Vaccinator, by the description on the wiki page, it would be ridiculously situational in VSH. The only thing it could help with is possibly combating saboteurs or reducing Applejack's rage damage. But either way, the default Medigun and Quick-Fix are more useful.
Herr Doktor - Moderator
"OMG, is the interrobang really the most awesome punctuation mark"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users